Thursday, November 18, 2010

Prognosis Update

I spent all day at the hospital today, and I feel I should fill you all in on my prognosis.

We saw Doctor Myint who is my oncologist. Here’s what he said:

I'm at Stage 4 Cancer with T-cell Lymphoma. It's very aggressive. I have to undergo six chemo and radiation treatments (that's five days in the hospital every three or four weeks, can't remember). I go in again on November 29th. He worked the schedule out so I could be home for Christmas (I'll go home on Christmas eve after my last treatment). He says at the end of all my chemo treatments (which will end up being approx. four and a half months), I'll be admitted into the hospital for a full month for a bone-marrow transplant (the cancer IS in my bone-marrow; he said there were two different things they were looking at in the bone-marrow. It wasn't in one part, but it WAS in another). They will "flatten" my bone-marrow during my stay in the hospital (destroy it; this will be the worst of the treatment, he said), and then reintroduce my own stem cells back into my body.

Good news: he says this will also likely put my MS in remission!!! I knew of another doctor doing this method on MS patients (one in Chicago). Turns out Myint WORKS WITH THIS GUY and they both made the discovery together!!! So, he said, while he can't "officially" say he's treating my MS, he actually WILL be. I was so wanting to do this with the doc in Chicago, but there was no guarantee I'd get in for this treatment, so I didn't sign up. I'm amazed that Myint was part of that same team of doctors! It gives me hope. I was thinking how horrible it would be to deal with cancer and then when that was done, to deal with MS.

Anyway, he said  his staff was shocked at how aggressive this cancer is and that it's a rare form of cancer. But because they've tackled it right away, they feel positive they'll be able to get rid of it. He said it responds positively to chemo and radiation treatments. So . . . He also said he WILL give us a copy of the FDA report which states that I got cancer from the MS drug I was on. He says it’s several MS drugs that can cause this, and not just the one I was on!

Anyway, it was hard news to receive, but I'm feeling positive and encouraged--especially with the MS news! Pray my body is strong enough to endure the treatments. So far, God has given me His strength to get through this. Pray that continues! My kids are counting on it. 

I'm exhausted and feeling lousy, otherwise. :-)

One last thing: they say the first few months after the release of a book are vital. Well, this all happened just as my book released, so I won't be able to market it the way I'd like. I asked God to be my publicist and take care of it all for me. I can see Him doing that already, but I don't want Him to get bored with it and move on to something else, lol. :-) Will you pray He'll continue that work for me? Thank you! xxx I have to laugh, because several of the doctors and nurses know about my book. Some have even bought it! I was passing out bookmarks from my hospital bed. I debated setting up a table for signings. :-)

Oh, and am I scared? Yes. I can't believe I'm in this fight. I'm taking things one day at a time to keep my sanity.

If you don't hear from me in reply to emails or whatever, please don't take it personally. I try to read everything, I just can't reply to everything. I might put updates on my blog on occasion. 

Hugs in Him,

Me

15 comments:

  1. Sandi, thank you for the update. I will be praying for you and this weekend, I will ask my Sunday school class to pray for you. Take care and be strong. God bless.
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am most certainly praying for you!

    Blessings
    Michelle V

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had cancer, 5 years free as of Oct 31.
    My sister who has also had cancer told me, "Annette live in the moment." Another words don't think about this afternoon, or tomorrow, or the what ifs. Just think about each moment as it comes. I love you Sandi and I'm lifting you up in prayer, you and your entire family. I also let my sister JoAnn know and she is praying for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandi we are praying for you. We know that with God on your side all things are possible!! Simply rest in the Father.

    Dee Graham

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot imagine what you are facing right now, despite this brilliant, no-holds-barred account. Hang in here, Sandi, you have lots of people rooting for you and a loving family who will help you through. All my love and good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandi, I've popped over here from Jodie Bailey's blog to say hello and wish you God's courage and strength in this unexpected journey. After my own battle with cancer's nastiness I've now been cancer free for 5-1/2 years. I'll pray for you! I hope amidst all the medical issues you'll still have moments to savour the pleasure of your book's release. I think a book signing at the hospital would be a great idea! When life gives you lemons.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandi, God bless you and keep you close in his hands as you go thru this. He will be with you. Thanks so much for the update. We'll be praying.
    Carole B
    http://sunnebnkwrtr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandi,

    I found you from Carol Garvin's blog. Will be adding my name to your list of readers.

    Part of the good news is that the more aggressive a cancer is, the better and more rapidly it responds to treatment. Reading your doctor's plans, it looks like you have a great physician in addition to The Great Physician.

    I find it part of God's sense of humor that the treatment for the cancer is also a cure for the MS. How like him to come through the side entrance like that.

    Praying for you and looking forward to positive updates.
    Grace and peace,
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandi, we don't know each other, but I've been praying for you since I first heard your diagnosis. My hubby was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2007.
    We went through radiation 5 days a week for 5 weeks, then he had 56 radioactive seeds implanted. Today, he's at the golf course! Keep your faith honey---God loves you and I do too!
    Hugs and blessings
    Katt

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the last one to even guess at what God has in mind, but I know whatever it is He'll be very close by. God Bless you, Sandi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandi,

    I am praying for you... you sound phenomenally strong and positive. Will be praying for your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came over from Carol Garvin's blog to offer my support. I just want to say that my prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you ALL for all your support and prayers. xxx

    ReplyDelete

WHEN THE WORLD SAYS YOU CAN'T, FAITH SAYS YOU CAN!