Thursday, November 19, 2009

DUTCH TALES: My Transportation

This was my "car" in Holland.

Before my husband and I left for the Netherlands back in 1993, we sold our car in the States and used that money to buy bicycles in Holland. I had a bicycle very similar to the one above, only mine was a flashy maroon.

It was there that I learned to ride on the streets alongside cars (with no helmet). I'd have one kid in the front, and one in the back, and a stroller hooked onto the back, along with grocery bags and a basket filled with groceries. When my bike wasn't loaded, I'd be trucking down the street, and I'll never forget when it happened more than once that an old man would fly by on his bike as if I wasn't moving!


The above is what a typical bike path looks like in Holland. And yes, the road is right next to it (really, it was a part of the street, just a different color). It took me a while to get comfortable riding so close to cars--especially with my children on my bike. Yikes! We'd ride through all kinds of weather--even rain and snow. Boy, was that "fun."

I got used to riding on the streets after I took a job delivering pizzas. I was thrilled to find a Dominos Pizza in our home town of Eindhoven. It was managed by an American, and he spoke English to all his employees. English! Aaaahhh. That was nice. Oh, and so was the pizza! Anyway, I delivered the pizza on a moped. I'd always wanted a motorcycle, and this sort of met that "need." I was their first female driver, and it was GREAT!
















Imagine busy city streets (something similar to New York City). Yes, that's very much what it was like, only on a smaller scale. Streets are smaller and so is the city, oh . . . and so are the cars. :-) This is a picture of Eindhoven, where we used to live. I've been on this very street! As you can see, this one doesn't have bike paths. Aaack! (If you click on the picture, you can get a closer look.)



When we moved to Soesterberg, we lived in a small village. That's when some of the bike paths were set farther away from the streets. To go shopping (not grocery shopping; each village had it's own grocery store) in the nearest town (Zeist), I rode 20 minutes through woods similar to the picture above.



Sometimes we found trails as beautiful as this photo.

I've got some silly stories to share about my biking experiences in Holland. But this post is long enough. I'll share some later.

9 comments:

  1. Great info and pics. Well done!

    Smiles,
    Kelly
    Mortimer Literary Agency

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by, Kelly! It's good to "see" you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats cool, I always wondered what it was like for you to live over there. :) Love you!!

    Angel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Angel! Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. :-)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandi;
    Our bookclub just got done reading Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes by Robin Gunn and we really enjoyed viewing Holland through her story. Thanks for this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool Sandi. I seem to be in the dark though, were you there for missionary work or a job? How long were you there? How interesting! I'd love to hear more!!!

    Debbie Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun to read about you living in another country, Sandi! Great pics and reminiscence.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diana, yes, I've read Sisterchicks! I didn't know they had one out for Holland yet. How cool! I'll have to get my hands on it.

    DebbieLynn, I lived in Holland for thirteen years. My husband is Dutch, and he not only worked full-time, but also preached for the church full-time. :-)

    Karen, it's so nice of you to drop by! Love hearing from you, gal! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is so pretty I want to go some day. The quaintness seems so foreign to us here in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete

WHEN THE WORLD SAYS YOU CAN'T, FAITH SAYS YOU CAN!